Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How about 70mm?

  1. #1
    jefury
    Guest jefury's Avatar

    Post

    Just wondering.
    How many of you have worked with 70mm?
    What is 70mm usually used for anyway? Stuff like Imax?

    Well, this type of film is probably twice as expensive as 35mm. Or more! Is it possible to blow Super 8 up to 70mm?

    What's next? 140mm?

    Jeff

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Karl151k
    Guest Karl151k's Avatar

    Post

    Yeah 70mm is used in Imax stuff and other projects. I know that if you want to show 70mm on TV you need to letterbox the top and bottom a lot.nI think they are releasing Beauty and the Beast in 70mm soon. And I think Lawrence of Arabia was done in 70.

    ------------------

  3. #3
    rollemfilm
    Guest rollemfilm's Avatar

    Post

    are you including 65mm?

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    Just for accuracy's sake:

    70mm is the print stock.
    They actually shoot on 65mm, and print to 70mm. The extra 5mm is for the sound track.
    So the cameras are referred to as 65mm cameras, and I seriously doubt anyone on this board has shot 65mm, although I would love to!

    IMAX is 65mm, flipped 90 degrees, so the widest side is extending the length of the film, and not limited to the width of the film.
    That makes the negative area freakin huge!
    That's why it's just the best looking thing there is in shooting.
    If the digital projection advocates were going to be honest in their comparison tests, they would be comparing digital to 70mm projection, not 35mm.
    There are quite a few DP's that are advocating more of a move into 65mm for features, as a way to improve quality, and not towards any digital standards.
    Pretty expensive, but really, since on major budget films, the cost of stock and processing is a fraction of the cost, I'm not sure why more people don't shoot it.
    I mean, sure you need more light, and the cameras are bigger and heavier, but still, the quality is just outstanding.

    You would however, be laughed out of the building for trying to have Super 8 blown up to 65mm.


    Matt Pacini

    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by Matt Pacini (edited February 15, 2002).]

  5. #5
    8th Man
    Guest 8th Man's Avatar

    Post

    I'll venture to say that I bet part of the reason more people aren't shooting on 65mm is the fact that there aren't even a lot of theaters anymore thet can properly display the quality of the formay. The megaplexes that have 18 theaters have a couple of larger screens but the percentage is pretty low. If there were going to be a push for more 65mm it might take the combined effort of theaters as well as the studios.
    To give a better Idea of how big the film for Imax is, it's also known as 65mm 15 perf.
    35 uses 4, usually. BIG!!!
    I'm thinking of having the movies of me as a baby blown up to 65mm 15 perf.
    Lawrence of Arabia was shot on 65 with only ONE CAMERA!

    ------------------
    PRM

  6. #6
    crimsonson
    Guest crimsonson's Avatar

    Post

    The camera is HUGE. If you ever seen an IMAX production pricture you know why. It must sit on custom supports. With such size you cant Steadicam and Steadiacm has been a big part of Hollywood filmmaking in the last 2 decades. It is also harder to crane shots. Basically, its probably not only the cost but the logistics shooting with such camera.

    ------------------

  7. #7
    Levi
    Guest Levi's Avatar

    Wink

    About a year ago, I went to see Wolves at the Imax in San Antonio, Texas, and there was a part near the end with super 8 in it. It didn't fill the whole screen, just about 1/4th of it, looked great. Oh yeah and Beauty and the Beast came out on January 1st in 150 Imaxes worldwide but it's not showing anymore, I went to see that too.

    -levi



    ------------------

  8. #8
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 8th Man:
    I'll venture to say that I bet part of the reason more people aren't shooting on 65mm is the fact that there aren't even a lot of theaters anymore thet can properly display the quality of the formay. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I don't think that's what it is, because they shoot 35mm film for most TV shows. So there's always motivation for having a better originalting format, than the eventualy projection or broadcasting format.
    Even if they project in theaters on 35mm, it will look much better if it were originally shot on 65mm, than 35mm.

    Matt Pacini



    ------------------

  9. #9
    Jean Poirier
    Guest Jean Poirier's Avatar

    Post

    The last movie that I saw in standard 70mm was Baraka and It was quite impressive. Imax is a 70mm format but the image is used horizontalty. Each frame is a lot bigger.


    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •